Tuesday 30 April 2013

Ladies, We are what we Cook

cook1
N
ext time you find yourself terrifyingly bored at some de rigeur gathering – I’m talking bridal and baby showers, children’s birthday parties, Tupperware or the like – I’ve got just the thing to light a fire under the other ladies, guaranteed to instantly banish your boredom.
(Ah, you say. Now, this is dangerous line of thought. Who wants to talk about sex, politics or even sexual politics with a group of people whose ideas are likely informed by the crones on “The View”?)
Not a bit of it. I’m talking about food. What you eat. What you can’t eat. What you are allergic to. What makes you fat. What you love, hate or fear about food. What food meant in your family when you were growing up. The list is seemingly endless…
I predict you will find that many women in America spend a great deal of time obsessing about what they put in their mouths. I don’t know why this is, but this phenomenon is a fairly recent one.
In my childhood in the 1960s, my immigrant family hardly ever talked about food.  Instead, they cooked. I live in Europe these days, where morbid obesity is still unusual, and most women are not noticeably overweight.  And, they cook.

Read more at Regina Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment