Monday 22 April 2013

Pregnancy: Woman Perfected


So, I’m sitting here writing this at almost 38 weeks pregnant. I would normally be asleep at this hour, but the typical discomforts associated with pregnancy have defeated my will to sleep yet again. I have given up trying to fight it this morning. I will nana-nap later. I am sure of it.

I bet you like hearing about how uncomfortable I am. Not for any narcissistic reason, but simply because as a culture we seem to be drawn to negative conversation, negative ideas, negative opinions. I know this because of late, the most common line said to me by close friends and strangers alike has been “Oh my gosh, you must be SO over it!” and “You must just want it out already!”

My response?...Um, no actually. I’m not. And I don’t.

Why are we so fixated on the negative? Why do so many women claim to hate being pregnant? And to truly dread the experience? Are they simply allowing the swelling and the cramps to turn the beautiful and mysterious experience of carrying their very own flesh and blood into something to despise?

I love being pregnant. There, I said it! I love it. I love it. And I have never been as fulfilled by anything else in my life.

Read more at Mercator.Net.

No comments:

Post a Comment