Friday 26 April 2013

The Pressure of Proposing

I, like most girls, love a good proposal story. And, also like most girls, I have an idea of what I’d like mine to be like. Personally, I wouldn’t want it to be cliché (think fancy restaurant with violins in the background), or too casual (“Honey, wanna get hitched sometime?”), but I’d like it to be personal, definitely original, and maybe reflect some aspect or anecdote of our relationship. Got that, future husband?

That might seem specific but compared to what I’ve heard from other women, I’ll be a breeze to propose to (my sister for example, wants incorporation of the floating lanterns in the sky as seen in the movie Tangled). Somewhere along the way, proposals have become almost bigger and more important than the engagement (and dare I say, marriage?) itself! A topic I’ve been thinking of writing about, it became reinforced today when I read an article titled “Are proposals the new weddings?”

They’re all over social media - flash mobs like this, or movie trailer proposals like this. It’s beautiful to see the amount of effort that has gone into the planning, but also interesting to see this aspect of culture. When did proposals become almost a public declaration, rather than an intimate moment between two people?

Read more at Mercator.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment